Saturday 16 August 2008

Land of Talk


photo by Jalapeno

As i watched Ned Collette play last night at Roxanne, i tried desperately to remember who i saw him play with in London last year. "They were awesome" i told my friend Emily. She pressed me for their name and i drew a blank all night. And then just now I was reading Canadian music blog Chrome Waves and saw a little thing on Land of Talk from Montreal. Ah Huh! Yes! They describe themselves as being "fronted by the daughter of North America's first female alligator wrestler. Backed by Montreal's skinniest drummer and fattest bass player." Hmm. Gags.

Anyway, Elizabeth Powell's voice and delivery reminds me a little of Bertie Blackman from Sydney or maybe Ida Maria. Their new album Some Are Lakes comes out on October 9th through Saddle Creek, but I'm not sure if it will have Australian distro. Here's to hoping. Some tunes are on Land of Talk's myspace and official site... or check them on Seeqpod:

No comments: