Wednesday, 29 October 2008

FF vs LL


Lykke Li photo by Luderbrus.

I've been constantly listening to the self-titled Friendly Fires album this week on the ol' ipod. I featured "Paris" on my first Everything At Once podcast earlier this year, so its great to have it within the wider context of a whole set if songs. It really is one of favourite records of '09. Tracks like "Jump In The Pool" and "In The Hospital" that open the record are bona-fide indie/electro classics, perfect for spazzing out to on random bits of gym equipment or just after too many red wines in the living room with the squeeze.

But I'm yet to really get my head around swedish poppette Lykke Li. I can't even work out how to pronounce her name. And in spite of numerous recommendations from chums and respected music blogs alike, I haven't heard an ounce of her acclaimed album Little Bit. Perhaps the lads from Friendly Fires can help!

See, Gorilla vs Bear (surely one of the best blogs ever) have just posted a great cover by Friendly Fires of Lykke Li's "I'm Good I'm Gone" plus some remixes of her other tunes. Its a sweet treat from those Fiery gents, super-catchy, housey-pianoed, double track vocalasized. Yay. Check it out.

So now I'm plowing the net for more Lykke Li, and keen to catch her shows here in Summer. She's playing the Prince Bandroom in Melbourne on January 4th and then the Oxford Arts Factory in Sydney on January 5th. Details here. Oh, and check this video of her getting silly with the sublime Bon Iver...


Lykke Li & Bon Iver doing 'Dance Dance Dance' in L.A from Lykke Li on Vimeo.

No comments: